A Method to clarify solving two-step equations:
Solve for the value of x,
that makes this equation true: 2x + 14 = 32.
Use the "Cover Up" Method to solve the equation.
Cover the variable term 2x:
2x + 14 = 32
- This means that some number x, times 2 plus 14 is 32 or another way of stating this is that some number x, times 2 is the same (value) as 32;
- Therefore, the 2x term is taking the place of 18. How do we know this? Because  plus 14 is 32.
- Two times some number (2x) is equal to or the same as 18.
- We know that 2 times 9 is equal to or is the same as 18.
- Therefore the solution to this equation is 9 (the one value that makes it both sides of the equation the same value).
Check your solution:
2 times 9 ( our solution) is 18.
18 plus 14 is equal to or "is the same as" 32.
(2 x 9) + 14 = 32.
Note: Always, clear the procedure inside of the parenthesis first. Parentheses are one componet of a set of mathematics symbols known as grouping symbols.
You have checked for reasonableness of the solution and the value 9 makes this equation true!